Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Resting Metabolic Rate and Metabolic Efficiency Testing Part 1

After working with a sports nutritionist, Anna Grout, I decided to take my quest for better nutrition and weight loss to the next level. I scheduled an appointment for metabolic testing at Fitness Rx. I've heard about these tests a few times, but I didn't really look into them much because I had a misunderstanding of how these tests worked. I thought you had to run for 50 minutes non stop and I can't didn't think I could even run 5 minutes non stop so I just filed this information in the back of my mind. It was during the Papa John's 10 miler when I had GI distress at mile 7 that I knew something must change. I am running faster and stronger than ever before yet I'm not where I could be. I messaged Dannielle at Fitness Rx and asked her about the metabolic tests and I was so happy to learn that I'm not running the entire 50 minutes or I can do a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test and get lots of data for my caloric needs. I decided to do both tests offered since it was cheaper to do both and  I got an additional discount from my coaching group.

Fitness Rx's website explains what each test is measuring and why it's important. I'm just going to copy some of the info from their website below because I can't explain it better than they do.

RMR or Resting Metabolic Rate, helps you know precisely how many calories you are burning at rest. Our state of the art ParvoMedics machine allows us to test your RMR and break down your calorie needs at rest into fat calories and carbohydrate calories. Why is this important? Let’s say you are wanting to lose weight and are burning 60 calories an hour at rest. If 40 % are carbs and 60% are fat calories…why do you want to replace those fat calories? Your body has 50,000-80,000 calories stored as fat at any time. There is no need while trying to lose weight to replace these. 
We then take your test a step further so you can see how much your metabolic needs go up with just minimal activity.  You will do light movement (walking) on a treadmill then we will bump you up just a bit more to assess what your calorie burn is with moderate intensity.  These numbers are broken down into your distribution of fat calories and carb calories as well. 
If you are working with a nutritionist, this information is vitally helpful in putting together your nutritional needs and it is specific to you, not derived from a formula based on national averages. 
The Metabolic Efficiency Test (MET) takes the above test above and beyond. You will go from walking briskly to easy running all the way to full out throttle running. This will give you more data about your needs at a higher intensity. You will remain at one level for 5 minutes, be shown a chart to point out what level of exertion you're feeling, then go up another level for 5 minutes. Below are some of the reasons to do a MET (below is from Fitness Rx's website directly)
  • Get exact caloric needs for training and racing
  • Get precise heart rate training zones
  • Lower your risk of GI distress by avoiding over consumption of calories
  • Establish % fat burned vs. % carbohydrates burned at each phase of effort
  • Learn your unique “crossover point” where you convert from burning fat to burning carbohydrates
You have to fast for 12 hours prior to either test so schedule it early so you're not starving as much when you arrive. You cannot exercise 24 hours before this test so your body is well rested. That's really the only prepwork you have besides filling out the paperwork. I keep a food log using My Fitness Pal. I went ahead and printed out that weeks food log and turned it in with my other forms. That isn't a requirement, but it may help out. 

For more information on testing check out Fitness Rx's website here

Now for all the details of my experience!! 
You will be fitted with a snorkel like mouth piece with a hose connected to it. You cannot take this out of your mouth until the test is completely finished. The head gear looks crazy, but once you have it adjusted it's not bad. The worst part was the nose clip, but it's required so you're ONLY breathing through your mouth so you get an accurate reading. I was to lie there and relax as much as possible without falling asleep. Dannielle had my Garmin watch to monitor my heart rate (they will provide a HR monitor if you don't have one). The mouth piece was putting a lot of pressure on my front teeth in this position so I kept fidgeting with my lower jaw position. I tried to think relaxing thoughts, but everything I was thinking about made me feel anxious in one way or another. 



After about 20 minutes or so you sit up and get on the treadmill and begin walking at a very slow pace. You will be shown a chart with 1-10 on it and different levels of perceived exertion. Every 5 minutes you will be asking you point to a number. If you are doing the RMR test you will do a few minutes of walking getting up to a brisk or fast walk then you are finished with the test. If you are doing the MET then each 5 minute segment gets faster and faster. This is the part I was worried about and the reason why I didn't do this back in October. You must run nonstop for each 5 minute segment and you cannot rest or take a walk break between run segments. I am a run/walker so I usually run 3-5 minutes then take a 30 sec-1 min walk break. I am not used to running nonstop. You are still wearing that mask and nose clip. It wasn't as hard to breathe into as I expected, but you do salivate A LOT!! I could feel drool on my chest and even dripping on my shins here and there. 

bringing sexy back!! Hahaha!


I made it 35 minutes before the test ended. I did not get up to my full running speed because I was huffing and puffing so hard, and getting that twisted gut feeling and gagging here and there. I wanted a very short walk break badly but I kept on going and tried to focus on the music playing on my phone. I fizzed out pretty quick and I crossed over from being efficient to carb burning  quickly as well. Once Dannielle got all the data she needed  the treadmill was slowed down to walk to measure my recovery time. Dannielle was recording data the whole time and I tried to look at the computer a few times, but all the numbers didn't make any sense to me. I will get my charts and results within a week or so (another blog). Once you are recovered  (according to the computer) the mask, headgear, and nose clip is removed. Ahhhh fresh air!!! I can't say this test was a lot of fun, but it wasn't as bad as I expected and although I wish I could have pushed the pace maybe another 10 minutes or so I'm happy with my performance. I will retest at a later date to reevaluate my progress. In the meantime I will have lots to work on. I highly recommend RMR testing to anyone trying to lose weight and MET for any endurance athlete or anyone having GI issues. Thank you Dannielle for doing this test for me, being an awesome cheerleader when I needed it, and for taking some action shots. 

Follow the link here to checkout Fitness Rx and all they have to offer. They're a great group to work with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment