Friday, August 29, 2014

First Recipe and hard lesson learned

Happy Friday everyone! I have a new recipe to share with you all. I found this on a Facebook group post for Team Beach Body. I only made half a batch in case they didn't fancy my taste buds. It's a really simple and quick recipe. These actually taste delicious BUT they are very calorie dense so you can't eat the whole batch (unless you put in a lot of miles). The rest of the batch is on the counter just in case you were wondering.
"Power Balls"

1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Vanilla Shakeology, but you can use chocolate as well)
1 C oats (Quaker Quick)
1 C natural peanut butter or almond butter (I used Jif natural)
1/4 c raw honey (local from bee farm in Corydon)

Mix, roll, chill, and enjoy. Yep! It's that simple

If you are interested in the nutrition facts here you go (based on my ingredients): 1 bite = 104 cal, 11g carbs, 6g fat, 4g protein, and 7g sugar. Half a batch yields 12 balls using Pampered Chef small scoop. 

I'm looking forward to trying these out tomorrow before my bike ride and brick run. I struggle with pre workout nutrition and hydration. Well, actually I need to work on the nutrition thing as a whole but that's another post. What do you like to eat before workouts? What do you usually use during the workout?  Post workout I enjoy chocolate milk in my cool stainless steel Brooks Running tumbler. It's like a treat and reward all in one. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Now for the hard lesson learned today. You MUST plan your workouts based on a lot factors such as time, date, work schedule, and so on. It's also important to plan for the weather as well. I am a night owl and always have been and I do well to drag myself out of bed for work let alone earlier to train. My husband and I have different work schedules so I try to spend time with him whenever I can. Sometimes that means training later in the day on weekends and  I have skipped scheduled workouts just to see Nathan. That is going to have to change in many ways if I'm going to become an Ironman. 

Today I didn't get started on my run until almost 1 pm. It didn't feel nearly as hot as it has been lately and there was a slight breeze. I didn't have much to eat beforehand other than a Honey Stinger Waffle and some apple sauce. I had my coffee earlier that morning but that was it. I started my run slow and easy as always and had my hydration belt on so I had plenty of fluids, some nutrition, and my phone just in case. I was around mile 2 when I started getting a throbbing headache and felt hazy. I attributed it to the heat and running on the road with little shade. I went to wipe my snotty nose like usual and there was lots of blood! I never get nose bleeds or have sinus problems. I panicked and texted some of my running friends and my coach for help. I didn't have good service so I couldn't get Google to load...WebMd would have probably told me something like my brain was bleeding so it's best to stay off those pages. 

I rested in a shady spot, hydrated more and cooled my core temp by placing my somewhat frozen water bottles on my wrist. I felt okay and the bleeding stopped so I proceeded with caution. I made it another half mile then my nose started bleeding again the headache returned. I turned around and mostly walked the 2.5 miles back to my car. I was so frustrated but I blame the heat and as my coach mentioned chronic dehydration. This was the first time my nose was bleeding and it honestly scared me. It's too hot to run at 1 pm!! I felt fine once I got back to my car so I went to the local YMCA for an easy swim. The heat must have zapped me because the swim wasn't as easy as last time, but I managed. 

After I cleaned up I treated myself to a huge grilled chicken salad (I could have eaten 2 of these if I had time) then went to The Natual Touch Salon and Spa so my friend could give me an awesome sports massage. I was long overdue! I feel great this evening so I think I just became overheated quickly. I will be back out there again tomorrow but It will be early. 
It's so BEAUTIFUL in the country!! I cannot wait until we build our dream home here someday. 

Have a happy and safe Labor Day Weekend!! What are your plans??


















No comments:

Post a Comment