Thursday, September 10, 2015

Where does time go?

It's already Thursday and I just realized it's been almost a week since I've been on here. I'm trying to be better! It's been a busy but good week! Monday was a lot of fun on the river kayaking with some friends. It's harder than I thought to kayak and keep it going in the right direction! I'm sure I paddled 3x more than anyone because I kept having to correct myself. Other than my arms feeling like they were going to fall off and I should have wore my old bike gloves it was relaxing on the river. I was looking at the water and thinking how far I've come in a few areas...but I still have no desire to get in that water and swim. Ever. 


Work was busy this week and everyday felt like a Monday? Does anyone else have trouble recovering from long weekends? 

Training has been so so this week. It's getting to the point of panic because I have 2 big races coming up. One this Saturday and another next weekend! My shins have really been bugging me (I'm 99% sure it's those damn shin splints acting up again) and my running has been so so. It has been super hot so I'm blaming the heat and humidity for the poor performance. I may not like my new running shoes like I thought. Yea this is my 3rd pair of Brooks Glycerins but I'm not feeling it like I should. Actually I'm feeling it like I shouldn't! I picked up a pair of Saucony Hurricains today to test out. They felt great trying them on and I can usually tell right away if it's a good shoe for me or not. These things are so bright I think they glow in the dark! Wow. I don't like the color as much but I don't care...I need comfort, cushion, and stability! I did manage 3 miles Sunday when it was a scorcher outside. I was so hot that the last mile all I could think about was getting into the pool at the Y. I was that hot!! I almost forgot my locker combination because it's been so long since I've swam (May 27th to be exact).  I changed and showered some then hopped in the pool in the shallow end. I was kinda nervous and worried if I remembered how to swim. I just turned on my tunes and took off... It wasn't bad! I still have to stop at each 25yd to breathe but I think some of that is mental. It felt good to be back in the water. I will swim again soon and before 3+ months pass by. 

Along with so so running, swimming, and kayaking I've been doing some yoga at home. A friend recommended this app called "Yoga Studio" and it's really been great! Not a creative name, but I like the format. You have lots of classes to choose from and download for free (you do have to pay a one time fee for the app but not each class) that range from 10-60 minutes. Here is a screen shot of the app. 
These are the classes I've downloaded so far.

The app will talk you through and show you the poses and sequence. It's a good idea to have some prior yoga knowledge just for for proper form because it's kinda hard to see your phone or iPad In some poses. It keeps track of the classes you do in the calendar too. I will admit that doing this the last few nights has really really helped my insomnia! I have bizarre dreams but at least I'm dreaming. I still have to fight my kitties for my yoga mat. I'm not sure what it is that appeals to them so much, but it's fine and I just move them as needed. Last night during the final resting pose I was waking up and looked over to my left and saw Sir Purrs A Lot stretched out in his resting pose right beside me. It was pretty cute. Anyways I highly recommend this app if you like yoga! 

Here's to the weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment