Saturday, September 12, 2015

Breaking up isn't always hard to do.

Before you jump to conclusions from this blog title... I'm still happily married. No breaking up there! 

Now that we've cleared that up I will tell you what I've broken up with. First and foremost I feel so much relief that I can't truly express in words how grateful I am. My parents recently helped us out by paying off all of our credit card debt except one card. Nathan and I have 6 months to knock it out without having to pay any interest, and we are paying my parents back at an affordable rate. We will be totally debt free in about 2 years! Before my parents generous offer to help we were paying almost $330 per month in interest charges total and the thought of paying another transfer fee just made me ill. I've made a lot of progress but it was getting hard to keep that momentum going. It was causing me so much stress that my hair was falling out just to name one side effect of the stress. Anyways, we've broken up with the credit card companies and it feels great!! We still have the debt to pay but we're going to make a lot of headway now! Woohoo!! I feel that debt and depression are things that we shouldn't hide or lie about but almost always do. I just can't express how much of a load has been lifted off of me. 

The second breakup was with my Brooks running shoes. I just tried a pair of Saucony Hurricaine shoes and I have to say I was reluctant to try them. My pal Jackson at Fleet Feet ordered them for me and said I was going to try them out. I've never tried these on before and after a previous pair of Saucony's I wasn't interested, but he insisted. I picked them up Thursday evening, tried them out Friday morning for a couple of miles and I must say my confidence was restored. I usually never try new things on race day but I took a chance this morning and these are AWESOME! The last two runs have been the best I've had in awhile (it was also much cooler too) and I didn't hurt like I usually do. Of course I had some twinges and aches here and there that accompany running and lots of hills, but I felt great running this morning. I seriously may purchase another pair of these shoes to rotate!! I ended up running the 5 miler instead of the 8, but after I was finished I felt like I could have tackled the 8. I decided to run the 5 miler last night because my mileage has been around 2-4 miles and I didn't want to risk an injury one week from my Chicago race. 

Pre race selfie! 
I'm still smiling after the run! Are my shoes bright enough? I actually like the color... Bright shoes make you run faster right? Well apparently so!! I was running a good pace today and I actually had to slow it down because my running has been so sporadic and so so that I knew I would t be able to hold that pace. Now I've got rhe right shoes for me (finally) I can run more consistently and actually get a training schedule put together. I'm considering a fall half marathon with some friends, but I want to see how things go next week before I register. 

Nathan had a great run this morning. He was a little disappointed he didn't get the time he wanted but he was within a couple of minutes and he won 2nd place in his age group. Who runs a little over a 6 min/mi AFTER the huge hills?? I'm so impressed with Nathan's strength and how easy he runs. 

I was hoping to finish under one hour and that would have been a PR I think. My time today is unofficially 1:00:03. I was pretty close and considering I was under trained I'm happy with my time! It still REALLY REALLY irritates me when people ask questions like "what was you're time, did you run the 8 miles or only the 5?" First off... How's about a nice "great run" or something like that followed by a high five? Asking my time is like asking how much I weigh..why is it important? I do keep track so I can race against me and try to better myself. Second, did you do only 5? Really? I didn't see your butt out there climbing the hills. The 5 miler was hilly as well it just lacked Pete's Hill. I've been avoiding those people that make me feel negative so I guess that's kinda like another breakup that's good. 

 This pretty much sums it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment