Sunday, October 25, 2015

Just call me MacGyver

I've been on a cleaning spree today and my OCD has been in overdrive. I only had one cup of coffee this morning too, and it was regular not espresso. At least I'm not as sore as I expected to be after the half marathon yesterday. 

I've solved a couple of problems that I've been trying to figure out for awhile. I wanted to share the problem and solution with you in case you or someone  else has the same problem. 

I have too many tank tops. I realize that already. But in my defense they're all different and I do wear them all. My problem was that I could never find the one I wanted when I wanted it. The solution was easy (and less than $2). I bought a couple packs of cheap shower curtain rings from Wal-Mart. Just attach one tank to each ring and hook onto a hanger. You can find the tank you want, and you don't have to take 3 tanks off the hanger to get the one you want if you hang them all together. Brilliant! 
This worked great but...
I have lots of tanks and the weight was causing hangers to break, so I split it onto 2 hangers. That was fine until the hanger would bow and all the tanks would would slide either to the front or back of my hanger. I fixed that minor problem today. I used two hangers that have a vertical support piece on both ends (look closely at photo). This will keep the hanger from sagging and add extra support for the weight. You will see a couple thin bands of duct tape wrapped around the hanger. This is to keep the rings from sliding too far to one end. Simple and it works great. 

This hanger and shower curtain ring would probably work well for scarves or anything else you want to hang and organize. I use a belt/tie holder to hang my (large) scarf collection on. My Momma and I rotate scarves and share so I have more than this. My dear friend Alexandria makes scarves and I have a few pictured here. She sells them to help pay for mission trips she and her husband go on to Lyon, France. If you're interested in seeing some of her scarves let me know! I will post a link to her website after I ask for permission. 

You know you wanted to see this. 

The other MacGyver move I made today was finally fixing a pair of pants that the drawstring came out of too far. The end of the string was in the middle of the waistband. I tried safety pins, forks, a hanger with a straight end, and a few other tricks. Nothing. Finally today as I was gathering all the  loose hangers in the closet I came across a different one. It was a double twisted hanger. Hmmm. I bent the end to straighten it and pried open the end slightly. I was able to push the hanger into the opening, hook the tie into the loop of the hanger and just zip it right out. Brilliant! I somewhat folded this hanger and put it up for later use as I'm sure I will need it again someday. 

I hope this helps someone out and saves them some frustration. 

Happy Sunday! Time to get back to cleaning like a crazy lady! 

No comments:

Post a Comment